Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cheap Eats

So in my quest to save my family money, I have been using my crock pot a lot (read a whole HELLuva lot). Some recipes are from other blogs/websites but some are just my hair brained ideas. Be warned I am not a chef. Just a mom/wife of a whole mess of kids and I am cheap. So, without further ado, here is my recipe for something for which I have no name yet:

2-chicken breasts cut into small pieces (use your discretion, chicken shrinks)
1-12 oz Bag of frozen corn and black bean blend (I used Veg-All Steam Supreme mix which had peppers, BONUS!)
1-16 oz jar of salsa (I used medium)
1/2 tbs-ground Cayenne pepper
1/2 tbs-crushed red pepper
1/2 tbs-chili powder (I was honestly scared at this point 'cause it looked hot)
1 cup of water
Instant Brown Rice ( I used uncle Ben's whole grain brown rice and used 2 cups)
Shredded cheddar

Cook first 7 ingredients in crock pot low for 10 hours or high for 5-6 hrs. At about the final hour mark I added the rice then had an "oh, crap" moment when I realized there wasn't enough liquid to make the rice cook properly so then I added about another cup and a half of water (again if you add less rice, add less water and if you add more, add more). I stirred it a lot at first to make sure all the rice was covered then threw the lid back on and served it about an hour later on tortillas and tostitos with shredded cheddar on top.

So, it was hot. Spicy hot, but not the crying, begging for your momma hot. It did make our noses run though. I at first ate it on a whole wheat tortilla but honestly whatever brand I used tasted a bit like I imagine cardboard would taste so I defaulted to tortilla chips and that was much better. My husband liked it but then again he eats his momma's cooking and that's not a compliment.

If you try it, please let me know your thoughts. If you share it, please link back to my original post.